WP1 Geological mapping, climatic data and energy requirements.
31st of May 2016: 1-12 Training, Education and Dissemination activity
The research within the WP1 “Geological mapping, climatic data and energy requirements” has achieved several very important milestones, which are deliverable of task 1.1 “Definition of generalized geological contexts” (fig. 1), task 1.3 “Climatic data collection and processing” and task 1.4 “Selection and energy assessment of building typologies”.
Task 1.1 has also been used for the task 1.2 (“Thermal Properties of Rocks and Unconsolidated Sediments”).
Most of the information and outcomes of these tasks are going to support the other Work Packages among the project, especially the WP4 and WP5.
Finally within the WP6 “Identification and feasibility of cultural buildings as demonstrators” an agreement with two important Balkan historical sites, like National Zagreb Technical Museum and the Serbian Orthodox Bodjani Monastery.
The Task 1.5 “Multi-parameter geothermal mapping” is not started yet.
Training, Education and Dissemination Plan within WP1
During the timeframe M1-M12, the WP1 partners already provided several TED activity as following.
UNIPD and WP1 partners are actively providing efforts on disseminating the Cheap-GSHPs EU project, although at this stage the research outcomes are at the very begin; nevertheless, during several international meeting, some results are already shown:
- 10.2015 – Long Night of Science, Poster. (Erlanger Germany). [FAU].
- 04.2016 – European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2016 – Development of strategies towards a sustainable intensive thermal use of the shallow subsurface. Poster (Vienna, Austria) [FAU, UNIPD, CNR].
- 05.2016 – Clima 2016 – A data base for European climatic data for energy potentials and mapping. Oral (Aalborg Denmark) [UNIPD, CNR, SUPSI]
- 05.2016 – Clima 2016 – Definition of Standardized Energy Profiles for Heating and Cooling of Buildings. Oral (Aalborg Denmark) [ENERGESIS, CNR, SUPSI, UNIPD, RED].
At the CLIMA 2016 congress, UNIPD and the WP1 partners are going to actively participate at the special Workshop, where Cheap-GSHPs partners provided several presentations:
- WS 16: How to make cheaper GSHP in Europe/How to diffuse GSHP in Europe
UNIPD is responsible for the full Work Package 1 and is supporting as participants other WPs. UNIP provided the WPs advances in the following meetings:
- Brussel (Belgium) 9-10 June 2015: kick off meeting;
- Bilbao (Spain) 23-24 November. First biannual meeting
- Dublin (Ireland) 30.05-01.06.2016. Second biannual meeting
During the 01-12 months timeframe (01.06.2015-31.05.2016) UNIPD and the WP1 partners had achieved several results. Here the main:
WP 1 Geological mapping, climatic data and energy requirements
- Task 1.1 (Geological mapping, climatic data and energy requirements): a database of the European Soil Data Centre (ESDAC) was chosen to receive some INSPIRE (Infrastructure for Spatial Information in Europe) conformal data of underground properties. A SGDBE (Soil Geographical Database) called PAR-MAT-DOM was selected to be the most practicable data set for receiving relevant underground data in terms of geothermal properties and drillability. PAR-MAT-DOM stands for dominant parent material and is divided into 212 sub-units which contains geological and pedological information of a certain area. To make it more clearly ESDAC provides also a second database called PAR-MAT-CON1 which consists of nine major groups which were fed by the 212 sub-units of the PAR-MAT-CON dataset.
- Task 1.2 (Thermal Properties of Rocks and Unconsolidated Sediments): several surveys has been performed in order to check the geological texture in regarding the demo site (both virtual and real) cases. The geological textures come from the task 1.1 results. The overall analysis of the geological texture at the demo sites allowed to compiling a list with the more relevant in order to gathering their thermal parameters.
- Task 1.3 (Climatic data collection and processing): A climatic data sets have been collected by the TRY data base of Energyplus files (EPW) as well as some weather files of Meteonorm. The different locations have been labelled in terms of DD for heating and cooling as well as by the Köppen -Geiger scale. The outcomes present a classification of weather conditions in Europe, in order to help the user in selecting the weather conditions which are closest to the location of interest.
- Task 1.4 (Selection and energy assessment of building typologies): The task is focused on the set up of a database with energy profile of a certain amount of buildings representative of the typology (single family houses, block of flats, office buildings) with different insulation levels and in different climatic conditions. Based on the task 1.3 results, twenty locations have been considered. For each location the overall energy and the mean hourly monthly energy profiles for heating and cooling (sensible and latent) have been calculated. Based on the results, the correlations with Degree Days (DD) for heating and cooling have been found in order to generalize the results to have pre-calculated profiles for sizing GSHP.
- Task 1.5 (Multi-parameter geothermal mapping): this task is officially not started yet, but some preliminary analysis regarding the parameters to consider for the geothermal mapping is already provided.
- Task 1.6 (Identification and feasibility of cultural buildings as demonstrators): UNESCO has achieved an agreement with two important Balkan historical sites, like National Zagreb Technical Museum and the Serbian Orthodox Bodjani Monastery.
Other Work Packages
UNIPD is also providing the input through numerical simulations to the developments on the WP2 (Helicoidal GSHE and drilling machine developments); indeed, several different helicoidal GSHE set up are investigated prior of their installations. Same for the WP3 (Coaxial GSHE and installation machine development), where UNIPD provides the input by numerical simulations.
In the WP4 (Software and modelling tools for low enthalpy geothermal systems and heat pump developments) UNIPD is also working on the software development.